Detroit cop killed by husband in murder-suicide
Off-duty officer was a 16-year veteran of the Detroit Police Department
By James Queally
Los Angeles Times
DETROIT — An off-duty Detroit police officer was shot and killed by her husband in what police are calling a murder-suicide, law enforcement officials said.
The officer, who was not identified, was found inside her home on the 9900 block of Kinloch Street in Redford Township shortly before noon Thursday, township police Lt. David Holt told the Los Angeles Times.
Both the officer and her husband died of gunshot wounds inside the residence, roughly 16 miles outside of Detroit, Holt said.
The victims' identities were being withheld pending notification of the families.
Officer Jennifer Moreno, a Detroit police spokesman, told the Times the officer was a 16-year veteran of the Detroit Police Department. Moreno said a domestic dispute may have preceded her death.
Holt said investigators believe the incident was a "murder-suicide," and the Michigan State Police are assisting with the investigation. The Detroit Police Department was expected to release more details soon, Holt said
Copyright 2014 the Los Angeles Times
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Wash. sheriff told to disarm before entering arena for charity event
- More than 200 police chiefs criticize Trump’s 'law and order' executive actions
- Video: Nashville cop fatally shoots armed man, NAACP wants probe
- Video: NY trooper arrests suspect after being dragged by vehicle
- Booby trap impales officer investigating marijuana grow operation