SWAT officer diagnosed with cancer sues after termination
The former SWAT team member thought his potentially deadly cancer was the worst of his problems — until he got a termination letter
ORANGE CITY, Fla. — A former officer is suing the Orange City Police Department because he said he was fired while undergoing treatment for cancer.
The former SWAT team member thought his potentially deadly cancer was the worst of his problems until he got a termination letter from Orange City leaders.
Nick Giampietro used up his sick leave time and was fired while using sick leave that was donated by co-workers. The news came just six weeks before he was scheduled to return to duty.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help