Hawaii sheriff's deputies recapture jail escapee
Sheriff's deputies, acting on a tip, recaptured an escaped inmate from the Maui Community Correctional Center Monday
The Honolulu Star-Advertiser
MAUI — Sheriff's deputies, acting on a tip, recaptured an escaped inmate from the Maui Community Correctional Center on Monday morning.
Junior Jorju, 40, was hiding in the back parking lot of the Harbor Lights Condominium Complex in Kahului at 9:30 a.m., the Department of Public Safety said in a news release.
Jorju was discovered missing at a 9:30 p.m. headcount on Saturday.
The prison went into lockdown and guards searched the facility.
Jorju was serving 14 days for driving without a license and contempt of court. He started serving his time on July 7 and was scheduled to be released on July 20.
Jorju was considered a "community custody" inmate, the lowest risk level.
His escape is still under investigation.
Copyright 2014 The Honolulu Star-Advertiser
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman