LAPD seeks help finding killer of Good Samaritan who protected child
Gabriel Ortega, 57, was inside a McDonald's June 18, his birthday, when he saw another man yelling at a small child
By Melissa Pamer and Courtney Friel
LOS ANGELES — Homicide investigators planned to release a composite sketch and were seeking surveillance video of a man who fatally attacked a good Samaritan who had prevented a child from potentially being harmed at a Hollywood McDonald’s, police said Friday.
Gabriel Ortega, 57, was inside the fast-food restaurant in the 1400 block of Vine Street (map) about 9:30 p.m. June 18, his birthday, when he saw another man yelling at a small child. Sensing the child was about to be attacked, Ortega acted as a shield and blocked the father from getting at the young boy.
“Mr. Ortega stood in front of the child and told the individual to leave the child alone,” LAPD Detective Steven Katz said. “When he did this, the individual punched Mr. Ortega in the face and fled on foot.”
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert