Police Search For Possible Serial Arsonist in Arizona
Flagstaff, Ariz. (AP) -- Fire officials are investigating whether a serial arsonist is responsible for two fires set near a residential neighborhood here Tuesday night.
Since last summer, dozens of small fires have been set in the same area.
Police would not comment on tactics being taken to nab a suspect, but are requesting the public's help now that fire season has arrived.
Sgt. Gerry Blair of the Flagstaff Police Department said investigators have not determined whether all the fires are the work of the same person, but detectives are investigating the possibility.
Fire officials said the last round of fires set were likely the work of the same person because most were set in the same area at about the same time of day -- late at night.
Firefighters also responded several times to the area last summer, coinciding with a heavy volume of media reports of severe wildfires in California.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house