Two Break Out of Maximum Security Prison in S.C.
The department says 26-year-old Robert Fortener Diehl and 25-year-old Jonathan Melton apparently had help breaking out of the maximum security facility in Marlboro County early Sunday morning. When an alarm went off, an officer went to the fence at the rear of the facility.
The officer fired four rounds from his shotgun, but officials didn't know if the inmates, who were between the inner and outer fences, had been struck.
Searchers found the outside fence cut, said Charlie Sheppard, the department's Inspector General.
The two had to climb over an interior fence, including razor wire, Sheppard said. "So there's a good chance they're pretty cut up," he said.
Melton was serving 18 years for burglarly, grand larceny and conspiracy in Horry and Richland counties. Diehl was serving 15 years for charges including burglary, forgery and possession a stolen vehicle. All of his sentences are from Horry County.
Sheppard said the Corrections Department and the State Law Enforcement Division are searching for the escapees.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house