Boston Police Bust ID Theft Ring
Police arrested Andrew Schwamkoff, 28, on Friday and seized some $200,000 worth of equipment, cash, fake documents and credit cards, as well as stolen merchandise, Boston police announced on Saturday.
The sting came about because a woman told police that someone tried to use her credit card to buy goods and ship them to a Mail Boxes Etc. on Newbury Street, police said.
On Friday, police staked out the store and watched a man arrive, claim packages and give money to Schwamkoff. Police then stopped Schwamkoff outside of his Brighton apartment.
Inside, they found boxes full of laptop computers, expensive clothes, cameras and other electronic equipment, as well as fake licenses, blank credit cards, counterfeiting equipment, and about thousands of dollars in cash. Schwamkoff has allegedly stolen the identity of more than 200 people, according to police.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms