Teen killed after hitting cops with bat
By Rafael A. Olmeda and Alexia Campbell
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel
WEST PARK, Fla. — Broward sheriff's deputies trying to arrest a 17-year-old shot and killed him when he hit two of them in the head with a baseball bat this morning and tried to get an officer's gun, authorities said.
Five deputies had gone to a house in the 4300 block of Southwest 33rd Street shortly before 2 a.m. to serve warrants on Jonathan Fontanez for armed robbery and aggravated battery, said Sheriff's Office spokesman Jim Leljedal.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Teen killed after hitting cops with bat
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police