Teen killed after hitting cops with bat
By Rafael A. Olmeda and Alexia Campbell
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel
WEST PARK, Fla. — Broward sheriff's deputies trying to arrest a 17-year-old shot and killed him when he hit two of them in the head with a baseball bat this morning and tried to get an officer's gun, authorities said.
Five deputies had gone to a house in the 4300 block of Southwest 33rd Street shortly before 2 a.m. to serve warrants on Jonathan Fontanez for armed robbery and aggravated battery, said Sheriff's Office spokesman Jim Leljedal.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Teen killed after hitting cops with bat
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy