Rights group cries 'foul' on student arrests
By Amisha Padnani
The Staten Island Advance (New York)
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Kids as young as 5 years old have been hauled off to the police station and the New York Civil Liberties Union said it's got to stop.
After collecting data showing that hundreds of children under the age of 16 have been cuffed - including 22 on Staten Island - the group sent a letter to NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly asking the illegal arrests to stop, representatives said yesterday.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Rights group cries 'foul' on student arrests
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help