Rights group cries 'foul' on student arrests
By Amisha Padnani
The Staten Island Advance (New York)
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Kids as young as 5 years old have been hauled off to the police station and the New York Civil Liberties Union said it's got to stop.
After collecting data showing that hundreds of children under the age of 16 have been cuffed - including 22 on Staten Island - the group sent a letter to NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly asking the illegal arrests to stop, representatives said yesterday.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Rights group cries 'foul' on student arrests
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic