Mich. teen charged as adult in officer's killing
The Associated Press
A prosecutor in Michigan says a 16-year-old from Detroit will be charged as an adult in the killing of an Oak Park police officer who was shot following a weekend traffic stop.
Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper said in a statement Thursday that she has authorized a warrant charging Jonathan Belton with first-degree murder.
Belton was arrested in connection with the death of 28-year-old Officer Mason Samborski, who was shot early Sunday in the Detroit suburb of Oak Park.
Belton was charged Monday as a juvenile with open murder and possessing a firearm in the commission of a felony.
He was being held without bail. Arraignment was set for Friday.
Defense attorney Wright Blake did not immediately respond to a call seeking comment Thursday.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house