NM teen kills with cop's gun
Fatal shooting in Santa Fe mall parking lot was over a girl
By Vic Vela
SANTA FE — The gun used in Thursday's fatal shooting of a young man outside a Santa Fe mall belongs to a State Police officer who is in a relationship with the teenage suspect's mother, according to law enforcement authorities.
District Attorney Angela "Spence" Pacheco said city police on Friday afternoon matched the serial number of the .357-caliber semiautomatic handgun used to kill 18-year-old Chris Aguayo to that of the state-issued firearm belonging to the officer. State Police confirmed late Friday that the officer is Trace Spoonhoward. Spoonhoward declined to comment when reached by a reporter Friday afternoon. Santa Fe police said 16-year-old Michael Trujillo shot Aguayo multiple times in a "feud" involving Trujillo's girlfriend.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: NM teen kills with cop's gun
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help