Fla. cop shoots, kills 16-year-old gunman
The shooting comes as Miami police begin a five-day operation to flood the streets with extra officers, in uniform and plainclothes
LIBERTY CITY, Fla. — Police have identified a 16-year-old youth shot and killed by an undercover officer during a robbery sting on Wednesday in Overtown as Joell Lee Johnson.
The teen pointed a gun at an officer posing as a delivery man, police union president Armando Aguilar said.
A second officer fired around 8:30 p.m., fatally wounding Johnson in the parking lot of the Town Park Plaza South apartment complex, 1798 NW Fifth Ave.
Read more on The Miami Herald.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform