SC high school student shoots at SRO
Officer Erik Karney was injured by a bullet that struck a wall but disarmed and arrested the high school freshman
By Susanne M. Schafer
COLUMBIA, S.C. — Police say a South Carolina high school freshman shot at an on-campus officer and also planted several pipe bombs in the school.
Police in Horry County in the northeast part of the state say the student confronted school resource officer Erik Karney with a gun Tuesday. The gun fired when the two got into a struggle.
Karney wasn't hit directly but was injured after the bullet struck a wall. Karney took the gun from the student and took him into custody.
Students were evacuated to a football field while bomb squads removed and disarmed the pipe bombs.
The Socastee High School freshman has not been identified because of his age.
A prosecutor says he expects to charge the student with attempted murder.
Copyright 2010 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman