Texas cop dies of heart attack in struggle
Was struggling with a 16-year-old female who was possibly under the influence of narcotics and alcohol
Duty Death: Michael Ray Schaefer - [Uvulade County, Texas]
By PoliceOne Staff
UVULADE COUNTY, Texas — Deputy Michael Schaefer suffered a fatal heart attack while struggling with a 16-year-old female who was possibly under the influence of narcotics and alcohol.
He and another deputy had responded to a domestic disturbance at 1:45 am involving a fight between the girl and another family member. When they arrived at the scene they attempted to place the girl into custody but became involved in a struggle and struck Deputy Schaefer.
As they placed the girl into a patrol car Deputy Schaefer collapsed. The girl was taken into custody on investigation of capital murder in connection with Deputy Schaefer's death.
Read more on ODMP.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help