Sheriff: SC teen offered $5,000 to kill grandma
The teen paid friends to kill his grandparents for being too strict, shot woman 3 times in chest
By Jeffrey Collins
COLUMBIA, S.C. — Investigators say a South Carolina teen offered to pay his friends $5,000 to kill the grandparents who raised him because they were too strict.
Chester County Sheriff's Maj. Bill Murphy said 17-year-old Clayton Watts waited with two friends for his grandparents to come home Tuesday evening, then ambushed 59-year-old Jimmie Paul and killed her with three gunshots in the chest.
Deputies say the suspects also planned to kill the teen's grandfather, but he went to work on his boat in a shed and didn't come inside. He found his wife's body a few minutes later and called 911.
Investigators say the grandson, along with 19-year-old Shaderius Cohen and 18-year-old Marquaes Buchanan, are all charged with murder and will be prosecuted as adults. Murphy didn't know if the suspects had attorneys.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Alaska police fatally shoot armed man holding hostages
- Police: Some Chicago gangs turning to rifles for added firepower
- Retired CHP sergeant dies while protecting friend from robber
- Video: Ind. trooper informs drivers about 'pretty incredible' turn signal
- Del. officer, police cadet killed in off-duty crash