Video: Police call off pursuit of teen runaway, vehicle flips
Police decided the 14-year-old driver was a hazard, and called off the pursuit moments before the SUV is seen flipping off the highway
By Geoff Liesik
TOOELE COUNTY, Utah — Video from a Utah police dash-cam was released Wednesday and shows the conclusion of an unusual chase on I-80.
The video reveals the 911 dispatcher identifying the driver as a 14-year-old male, who had taken his parents' SUV without permission. A trooper can be heard saying the car was going 110 mph.
Cpl. Todd Johnson of the Utah Highway Patrol said that's about the time the trooper did the right thing and called off the chase.
Full Story: Unusual Utah chase caught on police dash-cam
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert