Would-be car thief falls asleep mid-attempt
An apparently drunk teen was found in someone's vehicle that had been partially hot-wired
VIENNA — Like anywhere, dozing off behind the wheel in Austria can be deadly. But for one teen-ager it will likely result in a charge of attempted car theft.
State broadcaster ORF cites police saying they are have identified a 17-year-old male as the likely suspect after a woman found her vehicle partially hot-wired, a door forced open and a youth apparently drunk and fast asleep inside.
ORF said Tuesday the unnamed culprit rewired the vehicle to its normal state and walked off after being discovered Sunday. He was traced after the owner reported the incident to police.
A policeman in Salzburg province confirmed the incident on the phone. He refused to identify both himself and those involved.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend