LAPD gets military-grade stealth motorcycle
Bike is currently being used by the LAPD off-road unit, which patrols mountain terrain and other locations not accessible to police vehicles or trucks
By Kevin Truong
NBC Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES — The description of the LAPD’s new pilot project sounds more like a cat.
It’s black, quiet and able to sneak up behind people without them noticing.
But the department isn’t expanding its animal division, instead they’ve recently purchased a Zero MMX, a specially built military-grade electric motorcycle. The bike is currently being used by the LAPD off-road unit, which patrols mountain terrain and other locations not accessible to police vehicles or trucks, said Sgt. Rob Alberca, the officer in charge of the unit.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help