Teen charged in fire death of her father, an off-duty Philadelphia officer
The Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA- The 13-year-old daughter of a police officer has been charged with his murder, accused of setting a house fire that he died in while searching for her in the smoke, police said.
Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson said Talington's daughter apparently set the fire after a dispute with the officer. Investigators believe she poured "some kind of liquid" over clothes and paper and set it alight, he said.
The teen, seen running from the blaze, faces murder and arson charges, and will be charged as an adult, Johnson said. Police believe Talington was searching the house for the girl when he died.
"It's a very, very sad and tragic situation," Johnson said.
The one-alarm fire was declared under control in 11 minutes. Smoke detectors in the home were not working, fire investigators said.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman