Prosecutor: Mich. officer caught on videotape assaulting student
The Associated Press
FLINT, Mich.- A police officer was charged with assault and fired after authorities said he was videotaped by a school bus camera striking a 15-year-old student.
"We viewed the video and the charges are the result," Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said Saturday.
Andrew L. Gauthier, 40, a 16-year veteran of the Flint Police Department, was charged with misdemeanor assault, officials said. If convicted, he faces up to 93 days in jail.
Leyton said Gauthier apparently thought the student was not supposed to be on the bus or at the school. The driver was present at the time, but no other students were on the bus.
"We're going to try to the case in the sanctity of the courtroom," said Gauthier's lawyer Norbert Leonard.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds