Prosecutor: Mich. officer caught on videotape assaulting student
The Associated Press
FLINT, Mich.- A police officer was charged with assault and fired after authorities said he was videotaped by a school bus camera striking a 15-year-old student.
"We viewed the video and the charges are the result," Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said Saturday.
Andrew L. Gauthier, 40, a 16-year veteran of the Flint Police Department, was charged with misdemeanor assault, officials said. If convicted, he faces up to 93 days in jail.
Leyton said Gauthier apparently thought the student was not supposed to be on the bus or at the school. The driver was present at the time, but no other students were on the bus.
"We're going to try to the case in the sanctity of the courtroom," said Gauthier's lawyer Norbert Leonard.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court