N.Y. pregnant cops' trial begins
By Jennifer Sinco Kelleher, Staff Writer
Copyright 2006 Newsday, Inc.
Kelly Mennella, a former Suffolk Police officer, recalled yesterday how her pregnant stomach made it impossible to wear a bulletproof vest and how it was difficult to reach for her gun - and that the police department gave her the choice of working unsafely or not working at all.
She testified during the first day of a federal trial in which she and five other women officers are suing the county police department for discrimination.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: N.Y. pregnant cops' trial begins
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy