Mexican Consulate weighs in on Ark. sobriety checkpoint arrests
By Ginny Laroe
BENTON, Ark. — The Mexican Consulate intervened on behalf of 15 Mexican citizens who were in the Saline County jail over the weekend after learning they were not advised of their right to notify consular officials.
The situation prompted Sheriff Bruce Pennington to implement a notification process, based on a State Department manual, to comply with an international treaty that he said he was previously unaware of.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy