Mexican Consulate weighs in on Ark. sobriety checkpoint arrests
By Ginny Laroe
BENTON, Ark. — The Mexican Consulate intervened on behalf of 15 Mexican citizens who were in the Saline County jail over the weekend after learning they were not advised of their right to notify consular officials.
The situation prompted Sheriff Bruce Pennington to implement a notification process, based on a State Department manual, to comply with an international treaty that he said he was previously unaware of.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests