N.Y. man who bit off cop's finger gets 15 years
MAYS LANDING, N.J. — A New York City man who bit off part of a New Jersey police officer's finger has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.
Thirty-year-old Rafael Pichardo was convicted in May on charges including aggravated assault, resisting arrest and making terroristic threats. The Staten Island resident was sentenced Thursday.
Prosecutors say he bit Atlantic City Officer Dean Dooley on the left index finger while being arrested during a disturbance in a nightclub at the Trump Taj Mahal Casino Resort in February 2007.
The officer has since returned to work.
Defense lawyer Peter Willis says his client plans an appeal.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests