N.Y. man who bit off cop's finger gets 15 years
MAYS LANDING, N.J. — A New York City man who bit off part of a New Jersey police officer's finger has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.
Thirty-year-old Rafael Pichardo was convicted in May on charges including aggravated assault, resisting arrest and making terroristic threats. The Staten Island resident was sentenced Thursday.
Prosecutors say he bit Atlantic City Officer Dean Dooley on the left index finger while being arrested during a disturbance in a nightclub at the Trump Taj Mahal Casino Resort in February 2007.
The officer has since returned to work.
Defense lawyer Peter Willis says his client plans an appeal.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman