R.I. officer caught kicking suspect on camera
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Providence police have launched an internal investigation after an officer was accused of beating a handcuffed suspect with a flashlight in an incident captured on surveillance camera.
Police said on Thursday that the probe was launched after Luis Mendonca was arrested Oct. 20 for assault following a chase in Providence. Surveillance video shows him hiding under a car and struggling with several officers who were investigating a breaking and entering.
The video shows an officer kicking and striking Mendonca with a flashlight after he was handcuffed. A police report documenting the arrest does not mention the violence. Mendonca's attorney, Alberto Aponte Cordona, filed a police brutality complaint against Detective Robert DeCarlo. The attorney said his client was in a coma for two days and needed staples in his head. DeCarlo did not return a call seeking comment.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds