Ill. cop in crash was three times over alcohol limit
By Kim Janssen
LOCKPORT, Ill. — A police officer accused of causing a fatal crash on the Stevenson Expy. Sunday night had downed so much booze he was nearly three times over the legal limit to drive, prosecutors say.
Lockport police officer Eddie Stapinski, 34, had bloodshot eyes, reeked of alcohol and spoke with slurred speech after crashing into 29-year-old Chinatown IT worker Mike Wong, prosecutors said. His car was going 80 mph when it struck and killed Wong, they alleged Tuesday, as he was held on $750,000 bail.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Off Duty
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman