NY expert says police sodomy claims 'not realistic'
Michael Mineo says he was abused while handcuffed
NEW YORK — A medical expert says a man claiming he was sodomized by police with a baton did not have severe enough injuries to support his account.
Dr. Frank Sconzo testified Tuesday at the trial of three New York Police Department officers. Michael Mineo says he was abused while handcuffed in October 2008.
Sconzo did not treat Mineo. He was called as a defense witness and said it's possible Mineo had some pre-existing medical condition. He said an abcess that formed after the incident did not contain bacteria that would suggest the injuries came from the alleged abuse.
Richard Kern is charged with aggravated sexual abuse and assault. Alex Cruz and Andrew Morales are charged with hindering prosecution and official misconduct. All deny wrongdoing.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform