NY expert says police sodomy claims 'not realistic'
Michael Mineo says he was abused while handcuffed
NEW YORK — A medical expert says a man claiming he was sodomized by police with a baton did not have severe enough injuries to support his account.
Dr. Frank Sconzo testified Tuesday at the trial of three New York Police Department officers. Michael Mineo says he was abused while handcuffed in October 2008.
Sconzo did not treat Mineo. He was called as a defense witness and said it's possible Mineo had some pre-existing medical condition. He said an abcess that formed after the incident did not contain bacteria that would suggest the injuries came from the alleged abuse.
Richard Kern is charged with aggravated sexual abuse and assault. Alex Cruz and Andrew Morales are charged with hindering prosecution and official misconduct. All deny wrongdoing.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman