Ill. woman hurt in cop chase could get $3 million
The passenger suffered traumatic injuries from crash
CHICAGO — Chicago would pay $3 million to a young woman who suffered permanent brain damage when she was the passenger in a car struck by a stolen van involved in an unauthorized police chase, under a settlement advanced Monday by a City Council committee.
The accident occurred around 11:30 p.m. Aug. 10, 2004, when Regina Varela was 17. She was in a car broadsided at Addison and Kedzie by a stolen GMC van that ran a red light while being chased by Chicago Police.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy