Mehserle trial: Surprise testimony may boost defense
Witness in cross-examination said that he had once drawn his gun on a suspect during a fight without realizing he had done so
By Demian Bulwa
The San Francisco Chronicle
LOS ANGELES — A former BART police officer who was standing several feet away when a colleague killed Oscar Grant testified Thursday that the scene at Oakland's Fruitvale Station that night was so chaotic that she had been on the verge of using her Taser on one of Grant's friends.
Marysol Domenici became the first officer who was with Johannes Mehserle on the train platform early New Year's Day 2009 to take the stand at his murder trial. She came under immediate attack from prosecutor David Stein, who accused her of justifying what Mehserle did by exaggerating the danger that police faced as they detained Grant and his friends after a fight on a train.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court