Attorney: Illinois cop's murder arrest was 'outrageous' from the start
"This crushes him, it absolutely crushes him. He will never be the same because of this"
By Dan Rozek, Mark Konkol, and Kim Janssen
The Chicago Sun-Times
LYNWOOD, Ill. — It took less than a minute Wednesday to dismiss the murder charge that could have sent Lynwood Police Officer Brian Dorian to prison for up to 60 years.
But attorneys for Dorian, 37, said he remains devastated by his arrest and the first-degree murder charge that was filed against him.
"This crushes him, it absolutely crushes him. He will never be the same because of this," attorney David Carlson said after the court hearing that absolved him of any connection to a bizarre, still unsolved two-state shooting spree last week.
Dorian said nothing as Will County prosecutors told Judge Richard Schoenstedt they were dropping the first-degree murder count filed in the shooting Oct. 5 of construction worker Rolando Alonso. Dorian also didn't address a throng of reporters outside.
But as his mother left the courthouse after Dorian was freed, she ripped authorities.
"They should find the real killer," Diane Dorian said, surrounded by her son's supporters.
The scene was so tense outside that the father of one of Brian Dorian's friends -- Dennis Moran, 68, of Crown Point, Ind. -- was charged with misdemeanor battery after he allegedly slugged an NBC5 News cameraman.
Later, outside her Lansing home, Diane Dorian said she and her son were "beyond exhausted" but very appreciative of all the support he received.
"Brian does want to thank everyone. He's very grateful. That's how Brian is -- he wants to talk to the people who were there for him and he wants to thank all his supporters. But right now, where we're at is, he needs to get some rest."
On Wednesday night, Dorian attended a celebration for him at a room at a Lynwood sports bar. Lynwood police Sgt. Tim Smith told reporters that the gathering was not festive, adding attendants realized "there's a man dead and two people severely injured over this. . . . There isn't a cop [in the room] that doesn't want to go after [the killer] right now."
While Dorian didn't speak publicly, his attorneys earlier had harsh words for Will County authorities. They said they rushed his arrest without fully checking his alibi.
"To go ahead and arrest him and charge him was outrageous," said attorney Bob O'Dekirk.
Dorian had told authorities he was using his home computer on the morning when Alonso was gunned down as he rehabbed a house near rural Beecher. He also told police he had gone shopping, visited a friend and went to his mother's house, O'Dekirk said.
"There were too many holes in what they had and there were too many indications that they had the wrong guy," O'Dekirk said.
A spokesman for Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow defended the decision to charge Dorian with Alonso's murder.
"All the evidence at the time of this arrest pointed toward this individual," spokesman Charles Pelkie said.
Glasgow -- who wasn't in court Wednesday -- and Will County Sheriff Paul Kaupas had said one of Alonso's co-workers initially identified Dorian in a photo lineup and in a personal lineup and said the gunman was driving a pickup similar to one owned by Dorian.
But their opinion changed after Dorian provided more information Tuesday about what he had been doing the day of the slayings. "He provided sufficient, specific and detailed information that enabled us to dismiss the case," Pelkie said.
But Carlson called the decision to charge Dorian "a knee-jerk reaction" to the photo identification and said authorities focused too intently on trying to tie Dorian to the shootings afterward.
"It was the tail wagging the dog," he said.
And he bristled at Glasgow's contention Tuesday that the evidence initially pointed so strongly toward Dorian that even the Lynwood cop would have sought charges in the case.
"I am 100 percent sure that Brian Dorian would not have asked for charges," Carlson said.
Copyright 2010 Sun-Times Media, LLC