Getaway driver in cop’s death sues police
He says the officers were negligent when they shot him and other suspects in the legs and feet after the 50-mile pursuit
Editor’s Note:Editor's Note: An earlier version of this story suggested that Lt. Eric Shuhandler was shot and killed in the gunfight that followed the pursuit.
By PoliceOne Staff
GILBERT, Ariz. — The getaway driver in a pursuit that led to an Arizona officer’s death has filed a lawsuit against several law enforcement agencies in the state.
The imprisoned driver, 31-year-old Daimen Irizarry, says the cops used excessive force after a 50-mile pursuit that started after the suspect shot and killed Lt. Eric Shuhandler.
Irizarry was found guilty of eight felony counts, according to the Arizona Republic.
The agencies in the suit include the Mesa Police Department, Arizona Department of Public Safety, and the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Department.
Irizarry says the officers were negligent when they shot him and the other suspects multiple times in the legs and feet, according to the Arizona Republic.
Irizarry was charged with first-degree murder.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds