NC bank hostage files complaint against police
Alleges "rough treatment" after being mistaken for hostage-taker
CARY, N.C. — A Cary man who was held hostage in a bank earlier in February says that police treated him roughly when he was released.
Police say that Devon Mitchell, 19, claimed to have a gun and held as many as seven people hostage at a Wachovia bank on Feb. 10.
He let five hostages, including Rev. Lee Everett, leave over the course of three hours.
As he escaped, Everett said, police mistook him for the hostage-taker.
He said officers immediately jumped him, kneed him in the back and neck and forced him to ground.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy