Dad of gas-soaked man killed after ECD use files lawsuit
Man had soaked himself in gasoline during a domestic dispute and caught fire when he was hit with the ECD
PITTSBURGH — The father of a Pennsylvania man who had soaked himself in gasoline during a domestic dispute is suing the Pennsylvania State Police because his son caught fire and died when a trooper used a stun gun to subdue him.
Shawn Mohney's federal civil rights suit filed Tuesday says 24-year-old Levi Mohney suffered burns over 98 percent of his body in March 2009.
The encounter happened at a mobile home where Levi Mohney's girlfriend lived in Strattanville, about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. Troopers were responding to a report that Levi Mohney had assaulted her.
Shawn Mohney's attorney tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that there was no need to use the electric stun gun because Levi Mohney wasn't armed and wasn't a threat to police.
State police are not commenting on the lawsuit.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy