Video: RI cop's head kick leads to assault charge
Trial video shows an officer's run-in with an intoxicated woman outside Twin River Casino
By PoliceOne Staff
LINCOLN, R.I. — An officer's run-in with an intoxicated woman outside a bar was screened in court to try to ascertain whether or not he is to be found guilty of the felony assault charge now levied against him.
As the trial of Officer Edward Krawetz continues, a judge will decide if he assaulted Donna Levesque in May 2009 when he kicked her outside Twin River Casino, according to WPRI. Krawetz waived his right to a jury trial Wednesday.
In the video, Levesque moves her leg to apparently try to kick Krawetz, who said when it happened, he was getting ready to look inside her purse for identification. Krawetz said she told him not to touch her purse, and a few moments later, he kicks her.
Levesque was originally removed from the bar for behavior that showed "little regard for those around her," according to testimony.
In 2009 a grand jury indicted Officer Krawetz on assault charges.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform