Homeless man in NYPD viral photo wants 'piece of the pie'
The man, who remains barefoot, says the photo was circulated without his permission
Editor’s Note: We’re looking for photos like the one below. Any images which capture courage, compassion, comedy, commitment, poignancy — anything that might restore the citizenry’s faith in law enforcement — in hopes we can help PoliceOne Columnist Val Van Brocklin to put together a book with as many such pictures as possible. If you have a photo to submit, please send it to Val via email.
By J.D. Sumner
The Albany Herald
NEW YORK — Seriously? The homeless man who became the recipient of a $100 pair of boots thanks to the generosity of a New York City police officer wants a "piece of the pie" after he says the photo of the officer's act of kindness went viral without his permission.
The man, identified by the New York Times as Jeffrey Hillman of South Plainfield, N.J., told a Times reporter who found him wandering the streets of New York — barefoot again, mind you — that he has a claim because the photo was circulated without permission.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help