Inquest begins for suspect who died in back of squad
The prosecutor will considers whether to criminally charge any of the police officers involved in the man's death
By Gina Barton
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
MILWAUKEE, Wis. — In the five months since the public release of a video of Derek Williams struggling to breathe in the back of a Milwaukee police car, citizens have clamored to be heard.
Beginning Monday, six of them will get their chance in a Milwaukee County courtroom, serving as jurors at an inquest into Williams' death. Their advisory verdict will guide special prosecutor John Franke as he considers whether to criminally charge any of the police officers involved.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter