Video: Shootout footage helps police convict drug dealer
The prosecutor said the incident reflects the growing problem of drug cartels operating across the border
By Victoria Cavaliere
New York Daily News
HIDALGO COUNTY, Texas — Dramatic dash cam video capturing a shootout between two sheriff's deputies and suspected drug dealers helped land a conviction in the case, a Texas prosecutor said Wednesday.
Jose Luis Alvarez, a suspected member of the notorious Gulf Cartel, was sentenced to 15 year in prison in December after jurors were presented with a host of evidence against him, including video of the shooting.
The dash cam recording shows the two Hidalgo County sheriff's deputies pulling over a truck in October 2011. The passenger of the car gets out and starts shooting at a deputy who is wearing a bullet-proof vest. The deputy falls to the ground, but returns fire.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds