Mo. cop sues department for silencing his pot lobbying
Superiors issued a verbal "gag order" asking him to refrain from any political statements until they could meet to discuss his lobbyin
By Jennifer Mann
St. Louis Dispatch
ST. LOUIS — A city police sergeant who moonlights as a lobbyist for Show-Me Cannabis has filed suit against the department for allegedly stifling his pro-pot politicking.
News that Sgt. Gary Wiegert was registered as a lobbyist for the organization that advocates legalizing marijuana raised eyebrows last week and prompted Police Chief Sam Dotson to denounce Wiegert’s views as his alone and “not what is expected of our officers.”
Watkins filed a lawsuit in federal court here Wednesday seeking a court injunction to prevent officials from quieting Wiegert. The sergeant is a past president of the St. Louis Police Officers’ Association; the group says he is no longer a member.
- Off Duty
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman