Video: NY squad fatally hits illegal motorcyclist
Two men driving an unlicensed motorcycle fled from police, prompting the officers to stop the vehicle
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW YORK — Surveillance footage shows an NYPD cruiser approach and hit an unlicensed motorcycle carrying two people in Hunts Point, injuring one and killing the other.
Eddie Fernandez, 28, had been fleeing from police for driving an unlicensed motorcycle without a helmet when his friend, Adalberto Gonzalez hopped on the back just as the squad closed in on the vehicle, rear-ending it, according to MyFox NY.
Fernandez died of his injuries. Gonzalez, who recently underwent surgery on his foot, was charged with reckless endangerment, resisting arrest and reckless driving.
Gonzalez plans to sue the department.
The Bronx District attorney declined to prosecute the police officer who was behind the wheel in the August incident.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court