Man tried selling girlfriend’s baby on Craigslist
Paul Marquez thought it would be funny to post an ad selling the baby and giving the girls number to an interested buyer
By John M. Annese
Staten Island Advance
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — A Castleton Corners man was so annoyed that his potential love interest's newborn daughter was taking up too much of her time that he decided to post an ad selling the baby on Craigslist, police allege.
Paul Marquez, 22, posted the ad twice on the website's "baby+kids" section, according to law enforcement sources, set the price at $100, and gave out the mother's number to a possible buyer who contacted him.
That spurred two calls to the NYPD's 121st Precinct, and when someone notified the city's Administration for Children's Services, the NYPD's Computer Crimes Squad got involved, issuing a series of subpoenas that tracked the posting back to Marquez's apartment.
Marquez was arraigned in Stapleton Criminal Court Thursday on charges of second-degree aggravated harassment, endangering the welfare of a child, and two counts of a social services law violation called "authority to place or board out children," according to information from District Attorney Daniel Donovan's office.
- Bizarre Beat
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds