Video: Man charged with fraud after staging banana peel fall
A surveillance camera mounted inside the elevator proved the slip was a scam
WASHINGTON, D.C. — A man is facing fraud charges after police say he staged a fall on a banana peel he placed on the ground of a D.C. Metro station.
Investigators say Maurice Owens filed a $15,000 lawsuit against WMATA, claiming he injured his left leg and hip after slipping on a banana peel left inside an elevator at the Potomac Avenue Metro station back in August.
But a surveillance camera mounted inside the elevator told a different story.
- Bizarre Beat
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy