Video: Conn. police defend cop's scuffle with teen in YouTube clip
Suspect plans to file a lawsuit against the department
By PoliceOne Staff
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — Police in Connecticut have responded to allegations of excessive force after a video capturing a struggle between an officer and a juvenile was posted on YouTube.
News 12 reports that the officer became involved in a struggle with 16-year-old Eric Diaz after stopping him early Sunday to question him about a curfew violation.
According to the report, Diaz pushed the officer, grabbed his duty belt, attempted to stand up while being apprehended, and would not provide his hands while the officer attempted to cuff him.
Diaz plans to file a lawsuit against the department, claiming the officer threw him against a fence shortly after the officer questioned him about his age.
Police spokesman William Kaempffer said in regard to the video, “The video shows an officer, minus back-up, attempting to control a suspect who is actively resisting arrest at 3:30 a.m."
Diaz was charged with interfering with an officer and will be in court next week.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help