Man dies after Ill. police shoot beanbag at his head
WONDER LAKE, Ill.- A northern Illinois man has died several days after police shot him in the head with a shotgun loaded with beanbags.
Police fired the beanbags at 43-year-old David Maxson's arm, chest and head Saturday night after they say he lunged at officers with a knife.
Maxson's fiance had called police to their Wonder Lake home because she said he was suicidal and dangerous.
He died late Wednesday.
McHenry County sheriff's officials said the beanbags are typically non-lethal.
The county coroner says the blow to Maxson's head -- fired after the first two body shots failed to stop him -- was the fatal shot.
The Illinois State Police are investigating the shooting.
Sheriff's officials say they are confident the shooting was justified and that deputies acted properly.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court