No Houston PD officer ever disciplined for TASER use
By ROMA KHANNA
More than two dozen Houston police officers have shocked five or more people with Tasers — including two officers who have used the weapon at least 10 times — though none of those officers has faced disciplinary action for using the stun gun unjustifiably, according to a Houston Chronicle review.
In fact, no officer has ever been reprimanded for discharging the 50,000-volt Taser at a suspect, even though many of the suspects were never charged with a crime, according to the Chronicle''s review of more than 1,000 Taser incidents since December 2004.
Of the top users, nine HPD officers have used their Taser more than any other, discharging the stun guns on at least six people in the first two years they carried them. Together they shocked 74 people during incidents that primarily stemmed from disturbances and traffic stops but also included some violent assaults. In one-third of the cases, a Chronicle review found, no one was convicted of a crime.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'