Wash. cop justified in fatal shooting of pocketknife stabber
The suspect stabbed another man 159 times with a pocketknife
YAKIMA, Wash. — The Yakima County prosecutor says a Yakima police officer was justified in fatally shooting a man who stabbed another man 159 times with a pocketknife.
Jim Hagarty says the officer, 33-year-old Joel Hansen, fired his gun on Jan. 30 when the attacker, 39-year-old Yueri Acevedo Cisneros, refused to stop stabbing the victim, who was on the ground.
The Yakima Herald-Republic reports Hansen remains on paid leave, pending the police department's review, which is expected to follow Thursday's finding.
The stabbing victim, 21-year-old Julio Cesar Zamora-Cortes, is recovering after surgery.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house