Wash. cop justified in fatal shooting of pocketknife stabber
The suspect stabbed another man 159 times with a pocketknife
YAKIMA, Wash. — The Yakima County prosecutor says a Yakima police officer was justified in fatally shooting a man who stabbed another man 159 times with a pocketknife.
Jim Hagarty says the officer, 33-year-old Joel Hansen, fired his gun on Jan. 30 when the attacker, 39-year-old Yueri Acevedo Cisneros, refused to stop stabbing the victim, who was on the ground.
The Yakima Herald-Republic reports Hansen remains on paid leave, pending the police department's review, which is expected to follow Thursday's finding.
The stabbing victim, 21-year-old Julio Cesar Zamora-Cortes, is recovering after surgery.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help