Mass. police want suit dropped in spraying case against fallen cop
Officer Charles Panek died in a boating accident after the lawsuit was filed
By Lisa Redmond
BOSTON — The Lowell Police Department is asking a federal judge to dismiss an excessive-force lawsuit filed against the department and the late Lowell Officer Charles "P.J." Panek's estate by a Pelham, N.H., man.
In court documents filed last week, assistant city solicitors Maria Sheehy and Eric Slagle argued that Joseph Chalifoux, 32, of Pelham, cannot show that the Lowell police demonstrated a "custom and policy of deliberate indifference to the constitutional rights of its citizens.''
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court