Calif. police fatally shoot man after violent struggle
Man, 26, killed as he reportedly attempted to strike an officer with a baton
Eureka Times Standard
FORTUNA, Calif. — A Fortuna police officer shot and killed a man Friday morning after a reportedly violent struggle on O Street during which the suspect began beating another officer with a baton.
Police Chief William Dobberstein released few details regarding the incident Friday, but said two officers were involved in the early-morning shooting and that the man — later identified as 26-year-old Fortuna resident Jacob Robert Newmaker — reacted violently when contacted by police.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help