Photo: Wis. cops deliver cakes to gay couples celebrating ban lift
A photo capturing police in Wisconsin delivering wedding cake to same-sex couples outside city hall has gone viral
By PoliceOne Staff
MADISON, Wis. — A photo capturing police in Wisconsin delivering wedding cake to same-sex couples outside city hall has gone viral.
The Capital Times reports the image was captured shortly after a District Court ruling Friday that lifted the state’s ban on same-sex marriage.
Officers Matt Kenny and Zach Kimbrew, witnessing the large number of wedding celebrations taking place, decided get cakes with an off-duty officer, Sue Carnell, who was with her partner at city hall celebrating the event.
Carnell’s partner snapped the photo of 3 Madison police officers as they arrived with the surprise cakes to celebrate the occasion, according to the report.
The photo was posted to Twitter and immediately went viral.
"It's a beautiful moment to be able to have your constitutional rights. I'm in that business. That's what I do. I work every day to make sure everybody's constitutional rights are protected. And here's a moment where I feel like my constitutional rights are also now being stood up for,” Carnell said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police