Violent tragedies can happen anywhere
By Brad Dickerson
Avon Park Police Chief Matt Doughney was going into military service in 1984 around the same time James Huberty walked into a San Ysidro, Calif., McDonald's and opened fire.
Huberty kept on shooting for 77 minutes before a police sniper on a nearby rooftop put a bullet through the assailant's head. The final figures from that July 18, 1984 attack were staggering.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Violent tragedies can happen anywhere
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke takes job with Homeland Security
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Grand jury doesn't indict Ohio officer for fatally shooting teen