Violent tragedies can happen anywhere
By Brad Dickerson
Avon Park Police Chief Matt Doughney was going into military service in 1984 around the same time James Huberty walked into a San Ysidro, Calif., McDonald's and opened fire.
Huberty kept on shooting for 77 minutes before a police sniper on a nearby rooftop put a bullet through the assailant's head. The final figures from that July 18, 1984 attack were staggering.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Violent tragedies can happen anywhere
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform