FBI secretly blows up SUV in Times Square bomb simulation
The bomb could have killed untold numbers of people in the heart of New York
By Amy Worden and Kathleen Brady Shea
The Philadelphia Inquirer
HARRISBURG, Pa. — If a test vehicle is blown up in the remote reaches of central Pennsylvania and nobody hears it, did it really explode?
In what was truly a secret operation - kept under wraps from even Gov. Rendell and various state and federal law enforcement agencies — the FBI rigged a replica SUV with explosives at a still-undisclosed location about 30 miles from State College, and detonated it to simulate what would have happened had the car bomb exploded in Times Square.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Explosives - EOD
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house