Gunman in custody after barricading self in Ga. hospital
SWAT unit negotiated with the man until he eventually surrendered, no one was hurt
PHOENIX — A gunman at a Phoenix hospital is in custody after he barricaded himself inside the facility’s emergency room, according to police.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said the suspect was contained in a bathroom inside Phoenix Baptist Hospital’s emergency room early Monday morning. He was taken into custody following negotiations with a SWAT team.
Crump said the suspect brandished a knife as police approached him. Authorities were able to remove the knife from the man, but he then pulled out a gun. The man ran into a bathroom inside the hospital’s emergency room and locked himself in.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Alaska police fatally shoot armed man holding hostages
- PD removes 'Blue Lives Matter,' Punisher car decals after criticism
- Police: Some Chicago gangs turning to rifles for added firepower
- Report: Hiring standards may be lowered to meet Border Patrol staffing goal
- Retired CHP sergeant dies while protecting friend from robber